Thursday, May 7, 2009

Linda 高银 Gao Yin

Profile: No. 1

Chinese Name: 高银(Gao Yin)


Gao, my family name, meaning “high” in Chinese, while Yin is silver. Since my younger brother happens to be named as Gao Jin, often one jokes that if I had two more sisters or brothers, then there would be a Gao Zhu and Gao bao, and my family will be full of gold, silver and jewelry. Interesting, isn't it? Actually, I am not rich at all. Though not being reduced as a social zero, I am nearly at the bottom of the wealth ladder. But I am not disheartened at all, for I firmly believe that our success is measured mainly by how far we can go from the starting line instead of where we are standing NOW.


English Name: Linda


It is given by my first English teacher, Miss Wu, when I was at the fourth grade in the primary school. I cherish this name as much as I respect and commemorate her, for her courage of admitting a mistake in front of all the students, and for her sincerity of apologizing to someone who is just a kid. Yes, you're right. I am the kid. It happened like this there is an “interest class” after school hour which is open to all the students who are interested in English. I enrolled in this class, along with students from other grades and classes, being taught by Miss Wu. During one period, she taught us the song named Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.


As every tragic story always goes, I sang out of tune when she called out my name to give it a shot. It's not unfamiliar for me to be laughed at by the peers under such circumstances since I am a universally acknowledged bad singer. The point is I caught Miss Wu bursting into laughter ,too. It's my last straw. The feeling of embarrassment peppered with anger overwhelmed me. How I wish there could be a black hole that swallows me in and shut everybody out!


After this little incident, I did not go back to the interest class any more. Although I chose to go skiing after school with my friends, my interest of English never declined. Then one day, when I was skiing on the icy road in the school, one of my best friends came to me. She told me she had something important to ask me and let me follow her to the door of a classroom. Foolishly, I followed her up until the door of our interest class without the slightest doubt of her intention. All of a sudden, the door opened and she dragged me in. Miss Wu asked for my forgiveness. I was nearly moved to tears if I did not see my treacherous friend's smiling face. For at that moment, I really thought I am very lucky since I had such a good teacher who is so considerate and caring, I had such a nice friend who is so helpful and smart.


Birthplace: Zao Yang, Hubei province, China.


How do we define homeland? Is it simply the land where you are born in? Perhaps not. Because there are so many connections unutterable in this sense. I remember an immigrant once said that if one hasn't been abroad one can hardly comprehend the connotation of homeland. The same theory can also be applied to hometown, too.

As for me, there are two towns which have the magic of arousing my homecoming feeling. One is my birthplace, Zao Yang, another is the capital, Beijing, where dwells my two years' childhood memory.


According to the chronological order, please allow me to introduce my hometown first. It's in the northwest of Hubei Province. Tourism, agriculture, textile, tobacco and wine industry also prosper here. My hometown is not only notable for its abundant resources but also for its ingenious descendants. The Emperor of Dong Han Dynasty, Liu Xiu is my fellow townsman. Owing to him, my hometown is nicknamed as the hometown of emperor, too. There is also a contemporary celebrity in my hometown, too, whose name is Nie Haisheng. Chinese people must be very familiar with him. The Shenzhou Six Spaceship not only sent this astronaut to the outer space, but also let the reputation of our hometown regain its old day glory.


Even if all these merits are absent, I still love my hometown more than any other cities. Though it is not as affluent as Guang Dong, not as mordern as Shanghai, not as beautiful as San Ya, it is still the one and only place I'd like to come back to after an exhausting journey, for my relatives, my home and most important of all, my roots are there.


Next comes to my second hometown, Beijing. I took it as my hometown not because of its key status in China, but because of my personal emotion involved in it. Whenever I thought of Beijing, the scene of aunt's boiling milk for me in the wintry morning came back to me, and the warmth soon radiates in my heart; the scene of the maple trees against the cerulean sky came alive, and the companion smile creeps on my lips; the scene of my playing hide and seek, police and thief, attack and defend with boys in the neighbourhood came to me...

All these memories are so fresh to me, as if they just happened yesterday. But they are bygone stories too. I cannot go back to the place as I cannot be a 6 year old girl again. The place and people now only survive in the depth of my heart. I'm sure, due to the unforgettable impression they have left on me, they can easily withstand the erosion of time.


Major: English Major in Foreign Language School Of Wuhan University of Technology.


Future Plan:


Further my English study in a graduate school after graduation. My ideal job is to be a SOHO(Small office, home office). Unlike others, I am not afraid of being alone at all. More often than not, it not loneliness that kills me, but the noisy environment that is unbearable. Anyway, I am still open to other job opportunities on condition that they are beneficial for my self-realization.


Characteristics:


Very paradoxical, indeed. Here are a few pairs I found in my self:

Confident vs self-doubt conscientious vs careless diligent vs lazy

Humourous vs serious friendly vs indifferent

Generally speaking, I am a good egg.


Hobbies:


Reading, writing, tennis, table-tennis, cooking, listening to music (esp, country music), watching TV, and sleeping if it can be regarded as a hobby.


Height: 172cm.

One of my former roommates, June, asked me not to wear high-heel shoes while going out with her for that would exhit a very dramatic contrast in terms of our height. Actually, I have only two pairs of high-heel shoes, one for downpour days, the other for heavy snow days.Apart from the aforesaid two occasions, I seldom wear high-heel shoes. So friends like June need not have worried about that at all.


Weight:

It's a secret I will never tell (A sentence copied from Gossip Girl). Actually I am losing weight now after the operation. Therefore, some classmates joked if someone wants to become slim, he or she would better follow my suit and take an operation. That might be another story,then. Wants to know how to lose weight after an operation? Please follow my later project.


Project: Glittering Pebbles: A Galaxy of Reminiscent Essay on Hospital Life

Motto: There is no desperate situation. And there is only someone who feel desperate about the situation.

Ideal Abode:
A two-storey house at the ridge of a mountain, facing a great lake, furnished by hardwood furniture instead of cold and emotionless metal ones. In a word, I want my next door neighbour is nature, the unpolluted one, of course.

Favorite Date:

Wednesday. In fact, I have a personal Wednesday Theory. It goes like this, once Wednesday is passed, the happy weekend is at the corner. Perhaps you may wonder if I like the leisure weekend so much, why do not I take weekends as my favourite dates then? It simply because I enjoy the process of anticipating more then the end itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment